Fritz Leiber (24 December, 1910 – 5 September, 1992) was a science-fiction and fantasy writer, as well as a poet and playwright.
Fun Facts about Fritz Leiber:
- Born as Fritz Reuter Leiber Jr. in Chicago, IL to an acting family. Both his parents, Fritz Sr. and Virginia Bronson Leiber, were actors.
- The author toured with his parents Shakespeare company, Fritz Leiber & Co before entering the University of Chicago.
- After graduation, Mr. Leiber toured with his parents under the state name Francis Lathrop, while writing short stories.
- Before author H.P. Lovecraft passed away, him and Fritz Leiber had a brief, but profound correspondence.
- Even though he was a pacifist, Mr. Lieber decided that the fight against fascism during World War II was more important. He then worked for Douglas Aircraft in quality inspections on the C-47 Skytrain.
- After than the war, the author worked as an associate editor for Science Digest. His output during the mid 194s to the mid-1950s was said to be one of the best science-fiction/fantasy writing.
- By 1958 Mr. Lieber was able to support his family by writing full time.
- Despite all his acclamation and awards, Fritz Lieber lived in squalor, partly to his struggle with alcoholism. Author Harlan Ellison said he found Lieber writing on a manual typewriter over the sink in his seedy San Francisco apartment.
- In 1984 the author wrote a 100 page memoir.
- Fritz Lieber died from a stroke in 1992. He was coming from from a science fiction convention in London, Ontario.
Zohar — Man of la Book
*Amazon links point to an affiliate account, the money is usually spent on books
--- Please like and follow ManOfLaBook.com ---