Alain Robbe-Grillet (18 August, 1922 – 18 February, 2008) was a French writer and filmmaker.
1) Mr. Robbe-Grillet’s family were mostly scientists and engineers.
2) His occupation was that of an agricultural engineer.
3) After he published his first novel The Erasers (Les Gommes) in 1953, Mr. Robbe-Grillet became a full time novelist.
4) He became a literary advisor for Les Éditions de Minuit a position heoccupied from 1955 until 1985.
5) By 1961 Mr. Robbe-Grillet published four novels.
6) Last Year in Marienbad (L’Année dernière à Marienbad) was the first script he wrote. Afterwards he wrote and directed his own movies.
7) The film was nominated for the 1963 Academy Award for Writing Original Screenplay and won the Golden Lion when it came out in 1961
8) From 1971 to 1995, Mr. Robbe-Grillet held the position of a professor at New York University. He lectured on his own novels.
9) His novel Djinn (1981) was the basis for an opera.
10) He was elected a member of the Académie française in 2004
Zohar — Man of la Book
*Amazon links point to an affiliate account