Sid Fleischman (16 March, 1920 – 17 March, 2010) was an author of children’s books, adult novels and also wrote screenplays.
2) He discovered his interest in magic as a young boy, and held onto that fascination his whole life. Mr. Fleischman started performing as a professional magician while still in high school.
3) The first book Mr. Fleischman published was Between Cocktails, when he was 19 years old. The book was a guide to perform magic with paper matches.
4) During World War II Mr. Fleischman served in the Pacific theater on a destroyer.
6) Drawing on his experience in the Pacific, as a reporter, and as a magician, Mr. Fleischman wrote many adventure novels which were set in the Far East.
8) Mr. Fleischman wrote his children books using his three children as a test audience.
9) Paul Fleischman followed his father’s footsteps to writing children’s books. At the time of this post, they are the only parent and child to win the Newbery Medal.
10) Besides a lifelong interest in magic, Mr. Fleischman also wrote about gardening, astronomy and classical guitar.
Zohar – Man of la Book
*Amazon links point to an affiliate account