Owen Wister (14 July, 1860 – 21 July, 1938) was a historian and writer who is best known for his work The Virginian.
1) The author was born in Philadelphia, PA to a wealth doctor.
2) He was a lawyer by trade, graduating in 1888 from Harvard Law School; however he never really enjoyed his work.
3) As a member of Harvard’s all male Porcellian Club he was introduced to, and became a lifelong friend, of future president Teddy Roosevelt.
4) After spending several summers in the western US, Mr. Wister started to write fiction set in the American West.
6) The Virginian (1902), considered the first cowboy novel, is dedicated to Teddy Roosevelt.
7) Even though he supported President Teddy Roosevelt, Mr. Wister opposed FDR’s New Deall.
8) Mr. Wister is often referred to as father of western fiction.
9) Mary Channing, the author’s cousin became his wife. The couple had six children.
Zohar — Man of la Book
*Amazon links point to an affiliate account