The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick is a novel following the path of a mentally disabled man dealing with grieving for his mother. Mr. Quick is a prolific novelist, his most famous novel, The Silver Lining Playbook, was turned into an award winning film.
The publisher is giving away one copy of this book –to enter fill out the Rafflecoptter form at the end of the post.
- 304 pages
- Publisher: Harper
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 006228553X
My rating for The Good Luck of Right Now — 4
The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick is a quick, but thought provoking novel. The premise is that a mentally handicapped man finds a letter his departed mom kept from Richard Gere, the famous actor and activist, and decides to spill his heart out in letters to the celebrity. Only that the letter was a form letter sent to help Tibet, and we’re not sure if his mom really was a fan.
Nevertheless, I liked the format and humor in the book. I thought the author managed to tell an interesting story through the musings and point of view of someone who we would not think twice about.
The narrator, Bartholomew Neil, is constantly challenged whether in his faith in the world or in G-d. His life has turned upside down, those who seem to want to help have a hidden agenda which, as a gullible man, eludes him at every turn. I actually felt bad for the guy who lived in a sheltered, protected world and now discovers that everything he knew, from religion to social services to society in general, are all hypocritical.
This is a quirky book about peculiar people, everyone from the narrator to the priest are simply strange and profane on several levels. I found the novel to be enjoyable and quick but very thought provoking on several levels.
Giveaway ends: March 19, 2014
US/Canada Shipping Addresses Only
No PO Boxes
Winners will have 24 hours to write back with their address, otherwise an alternate winner will be picked
TLC Book Tour for The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick:
- Tuesday, February 11th: Jenn’s Bookshelves
- Wednesday, February 12th: A Reader of Fictions
- Thursday, February 13th: Chronicles …
- Friday, February 14th: Ageless Pages Reviews
- Monday, February 17th: A Bookish Way of Life
- Tuesday, February 18th: Bibliotica
- Wednesday, February 19th: A Bookworm’s World
- Monday, February 24th: The Well-Read Redhead
- Tuesday, February 25th: A Librarian’s Library
- Wednesday, February 26th: BoundbyWords
- Thursday, February 27th: Drey’s Library
- Monday, March 3rd: Kritters Ramblings
- Wednesday, March 5th: Snowdrop Dreams of Books
- Thursday, March 6th: The Avid Reader
- Monday, March 10th: In Bed with Books
- Tuesday, March 11th: Oh! Paper Pages
- Wednesday, March 12th: Man of La Book
- Friday, March 14th: Books à la Mode
Zohar — Man of la Book
Disclaimer: I got this book for free from TLC Book Tours.
*Amazon links point to an affiliate account