Tom Clancy (12 April, 1947 – 1 October, 2013) was a prolific bestselling American author known for his espionage books and military-science novels.
Fun Facts about Tom Clany:
- The author was born as Thomas Leo Clancy Jr. in Baltimore, MD, where he grew up.
- Mr. Clancy’s first novel, The Hunt for Red October, was sold to the Naval Institute Press for $5,000 in 1984. The Press Editor, Ms. Deborah Grosvenor said she thought “have a potential best seller here, and if we don’t grab this thing, somebody else would.”
- The Hunt for Red October was a favorite of President Ronald Reagan who said it was “the best yarn”.
- Seventeen of Mr. Clancy’s novels were number 1 on the New York Times bestseller list.
- Because The Hunt for Red October was difficult to summarize, no one in Hollywood wanted to adapt it to a movie. It was only after Mace Neufeld, the producer, got a Paramount executive to read the novel that they got a green light for production.
- Several of Mr. Clancy’s novels were not only adapted into movies, but also to video games.
- In 1994 Mr. Clancy became part owner of the Baltimore Orioles baseball team.
- Red Storm Rising (1986) sold almost a million copies when it was published.
- Even though he’s known for his fictional work, Mr. Clancy wrote several non-fiction books about the US military.
- Stephen Hunter, a Pulitzer Prize winning author, said of Mr. Clancy that “”When he published The Hunt for Red October, he redefined and expanded the genre and as a consequence of that, many people were able to publish such books who had previously been unable to do so.”
Zohar – Man of la Book
*Amazon links point to an affiliate account
--- Please like and follow ManOfLaBook.com ---