1) Mr. Kipling was born in India, but was educated in England in a foster home.
2) His experiences in the foster home are described in the semi-autobiographical book Baa Baa, Black Sheep (and no, they’re not positive).
4) Stanley Baldwin, Prime Minister of the UK, was his first cousin.
5) While working at the newspaper the Civil and Military Gazette Rudyard was asked to start writing short stories.
7) Unfortunately, two of the three Kipling children died at an early age. Josephine succumbed to pneumonia and John died in World War I.
8) After the death of his little daughter, Rudyard Kipling began collating material for children stories
9) By 1897, Kipling was the highest paid writer in the world.
10) In 1907, 42 year old Rudyard Kipling received the Nobel Prize in Literature. As of the time of this post, he is still the youngest recipient of that prize. Mr. Kipling was also the first English language author to win the prize.
Zohar – Man of la Book