Today, August 5, is the birthday of French writer Guy de Maupassant who was born in the year 1850. If you haven’t heard of Monsieur Maupassant don’t be alarmed, he wrote mostly short stories.
Fun Facts about Guy de Maupassant:
1) Was born as Henri-René-Albert-Guy de Maupassant.
2) Even though he is known for writing he started out by studying law in Paris.
3) Monsieur Maupassant’s law studies were interrupted in 1871 when he volunteered for the army during the Franco-Prussian War.
5) Zola edited a collection of stories about the war and selected Maupassant’s “Boule de Suif” (“Ball of Fat”) to be one of them.
6) Many of his stories are set in the Franco-Prussian War.
7) In 10 years Maupassant created an amazing body of work including six novels, 300 short stories and several non-fiction books.
8) In a strange turn of events Maupassant’s Naturalist style influenced Zola’s writing.
9) Maupassant contracted syphilis in his 20’s.
10) A side effect of syphilis is insanity, Maupassant died in 1893, his 40s, in an insane asylum.
Zohar – Man of la Book
*Amazon links point to an affiliate account, the money is usually spent on books
- Bel Ami gets a Book Review…and a TRAILER!! (robattack.wordpress.com)
- Album: Dave Cloud and the Gospel of Power, Practice In The Milky Way (Fire) (independent.co.uk)
- A Brave Attempt To Play a Game About Cleaning Up The Streets… the Boring Way [What Would Guy De Maupassant Say?] (kotaku.com)
- ‘Bel Ami’ Movie Trailer Released (Video) (rightcelebrity.com)