Evelyn Waugh (28 October, 1903 – 10 April, 1996) was an author, biographer, journalist and book reviewer from England.
1) Mr. Waugh’s father was a publisher
2) In 1927 Evelyn Waugh became engaged to Evelyn Gardner. The couple were known to their friends as “He-Evelyn” and “She-Evelyn”. The couple was divorced in 1929.
3) Mr. Waugh attended the coronation of Emperor Haile Selassie in 1930.
4) His first book, Decline and Fal (1928), was published to rave reviews.
5) Mr. Waugh served in the Royal Marines during World War II, he was an unpopular company commander but found success as the battalion’s Intelligence Officer.
6) He served in Layforce, a commando unit from 1940 to 1942.
7) In 1937 Mr. Waugh married his second wife, Laura Herbert (a cousin of his first wife). The bride’s grandmother gave the couple a country house named Piers Court.
8) He was an avid collector of Victorian paintings and furniture.
9) He declined the honor of Order of the British Empire believing he should have received a knighthood.
10) Mr. Waugh is recognized as one of the great stylists of English prose.
Zohar — Man of la Book
*Amazon links point to an affiliate account