Emma Lazarus (22 July, 1849 – 19 November, 1887) was an American poet known for her 1883 sonnet The New Colossus which is inscribed on a bronze plaque being held by the Statue of Liberty.
By T. Johnson – The New York Historical Society ,
Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=275227
1) Ms. Lazarus was one of seven children born in New York.
2) Poet Grace Seixas Nathan was the great-great grandmother of Ms. Lazarus
3) Since early age, Ms. Lazarus studied American and British literature
5) She spoke English, German, French and Italian.
7) She was an advocate for Jewish Russian refugees after the Russian pogroms
10) In 2008 her home on West 10th Street in New York City was included in a map of Women’s Rights Historic Sites.
Zohar – Man of la Book