Yesterday was the birthday of famed author and poet Edgar Allan Poe (museum). Mr. Poe’s stories and poems are classics and he was an interesting person as well.
1 ) There is a common misconception that no-one knows how Poe died. There are stories about hired henchmen , a brain tumor and more. However, a few years ago Poe’s body was dug up and as it turned out he died of rabies.
2 ) Poe’s Army record has him as “Edgar A. Perry”.
3) For The Raven, one of the most famous or Poe’s works, if not the most famous, he was paid $9.
4 ) Rufus Griswold hated Poe because of a negative review he wrote about one of his works. Upon Poe’s death Griswold wrote an anonymous obituary and later published a false biography. Both the obituary and biography greatly exaggerated Poe’s madness and drunkenness.
5 ) Virginia Eliza Clemm, Poe’s wife, was much younger than him and loved to play on the lawn together. They were married when he was 27 and she was just 13.
6 ) Some say that Edgar and Virginia had a more of a brother / sister relationship than that of a husband and wife. However, it is clear that they were very much in love in part to the beautiful poems he wrote in her honor.
7 ) The Raven brought Poe much fame and he was even nicknamed “The Raven”. There are stories of children walking behind him flapping their arms and cawing. Poe would continue walking until, playfully, would turn around and say “Nevermore”. As the children ran away he would chuckle to himself.
8 ) The professional American football team of Poe’s hometown, Baltimore MD, is called “The Ravens”.
9 ) If you see any autograph signed as “Edgar Allan Poe” it is a fake. He only signed Edgar A. Poe or E.A. Poe. Griswold’s contribution is the “Allen” (see Fun Fact 4).
10) Poe was accepted to the University of Virginia and even though he gambled away his scholarship money and showed up to class drunk on occasion he still finished with the highest grades in his class.
Zohar – Man of la Book
- Edgar Allan Poe and Julian Barnes Birthday (nochargebookbunch.com)
- HAPPY 203rd BIRTHDAY EDGAR ALLAN POE! BORN on JAN. 19, 1809 in BOSTON, MA! (greatkat.wordpress.com)
- Edgar Allen Poe fans: Last vigil for mystery man (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- What I Learned Traveling Upstream (mappingtheedge.com)
- Poe Fans Plan Last Vigil For Mystery Visitor (baltimore.cbslocal.com)