Article first published as Book Review: Swoon by Betsy Prioleau on Blogcritics.
Swoon: Great Seducers and Why Women Love Them by Betsy Prioleau is a non-fiction book which tries to analyze what makes a ladies’ man. The book makes an interesting read and I only wish I would have read it when I was single and still looking for a mate for life.
The publisher is giving away one copy of this book –to enter fill out the Rafflecoptter form at the end of the post.
- 288 pages
- Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0393068374
My rating for Swoon— 4
Swoon: Great Seducers and Why Women Love Them by Betsy Prioleau (website | Facebook | @BetsyPrioleau) has bad news for us guys – being a ladies’ man cannot be learned, one has to be born with “it”. The author found out that there is no template for being a Casanova, it’s neither money nor attitude but complex, and sometimes distinct, personalities.
Ms. Prioleau analyzes the great lovers of our time and from ages long ago from Casanova to Ashton Kutcher and those who aren’t famous but get the ladies, the schmos down the street which we all scratch our bald pates in amazement whenever they get the girl (a notable exception is myself – just to think I was sitting by the phone for hours and days waiting to be interviewed).
The book is divided into section about Charisma, the characters, the mind, senses and more. The author provides examples from history, fictional and non-fictional people as well as famous and the not-so-famous as they pertain to each section and/or subsection (some swooners are in more then one place).
It was interesting to read how wrong the ideal “ladies man” is in the eye of society, this wonderfully researched book shows that they are not handsome millionaires but those who have many other qualities (beauty is not one of them), the main one being joie de vivre – a love of life, and those man simply put women up on a pedestal.
While I did enjoy the non-fiction part of the book, I didn’t care for the examples of men from romance novels. While I do appreciate fiction of any genre I felt that a woman writing about an ideal man (which might exist – but probably not) didn’t really teach me anything.
Swoon is an enjoyable book with much to teach the men of the world about women. While the bad news is that one has to be born a ladies’ man, the good news is that we can all learn to become better.
Giveaway ends: April 1, 2013
US/Canada Shipping Addresses Only
No PO Boxes
Winners will have 24 hours to write back with their address, otherwise an alternate winner will be picked
Congratulations: name as email
TLC Book Tour for Swoon by Betsy Prioleau :
- Monday, March 4th: Scandalous Women
- Tuesday, March 5th: Enchanted by Josephine
- Thursday, March 7th: A Bookish Affair
- Monday, March 11th: The Blog of Litwits
- Tuesday, March 12th: In the Hammock
- Wednesday, March 13th: Staircase Wit
- Thursday, March 14th: Jenny Loves to Read
- Friday, March 15th: Patricia’s Wisdom
- Monday, March 18th: Dolce Bellezza
- Tuesday, March 19th: Book Addict Katie
- Thursday, March 21st: Unabridged Chick
- Friday, March 22nd: Books a la Mode – guest post “Heartbreakers in History that were Ugly”
- Monday, March 25th: Man of La Book
- Tuesday, March 26th: Literally Jen
- Thursday, March 28th: Tiffany’s Bookshelf
- Friday, March 29th: Stiletto Storytime
- Monday, April 1st: A Chick Who Reads
- Wednesday, April 3rd: Peppermint Ph.D.
Zohar — Man of la Book
Disclaimer: I got this book for free from TLC Book Tours.
*Amazon links point to an affiliate account
Enjoy this post? Why don't you sign up for the RSS feed