The Kept by James Scott is a novel set in rural America during in the late 1800s. This is Mr. Scott’s debut novel, a Boston native who grew up in upstate New York.
The publisher is giving away one copy of this book –to enter fill out the Rafflecoptter form at the end of the post.
- 368 pages
- Publisher: Harper
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0062236733
My rating for The Kept – 4
The Kept by James Scott is a difficult book to review. The book takes some serious reading and re-reading. I had to go back to several parts because I missed a key point or to make sure I understood what was going on.
I’m sure the book would make an interesting re-read because now, when I know the end, I can look for clues which, on hindsight, I skipped on the first reading. The author did keep me in suspense, I was not sure what was about to happen and every time I got a bit bored, Mr. Scott hooked me right back in.
The book starts out as a revenge novel, but slowly turns into something more, a deeper story both moving and interesting. The story is not an easy read and the ending is brutal.
The narrative is strange, Gothic, very dark and cold. I don’t think it’s for everybody but the novel is certainly worth reading and, as I mentioned earlier, certainly worth a second read.
Midwife Elspeth Howell returns to her home after spending a few months away working. Elspeth can’t wait to get back; she has gifts for each of her five children and her husband.
What Elspeth finds, however, is a bloodbath. Her husband and children are murdered and one son, 12 year old Caleb, is missing. But Caleb is hiding and is so startled that he shoots his mother.
Caleb tries to nurse his mother back to health, but Elspeth is sure that the violence is divine retribution for her past sins. As the mother and son search for the killers, they unearth family secrets and are torn between hatred and loyalty.
Giveaway ends: January 29, 2014
US/Canada Shipping Addresses Only
No PO Boxes
Winners will have 24 hours to write back with their address, otherwise an alternate winner will be picked
Congratulations: Name as Email
TLC Book Tour for The Kept by James Scott:
- Tuesday, January 7th: Drey’s Library
- Wednesday, January 8th: A Bookish Way of Life
- Thursday, January 9th: Bibliophilia, Please
- Monday, January 13th: Books in the Burbs
- Thursday, January 16th: Broken Teepee
- Monday, January 20th: Tina’s Book Reviews
- Tuesday, January 21st: The Reader’s Hollow
- Wednesday, January 22nd: Man of La Book
- Thursday, January 23rd: Bibliophiliac
- Tuesday, January 28th: she treads softly
- Thursday, January 30th: No More Grumpy Bookseller
- Monday, February 3rd: A Bookworm’s World
- Tuesday, February 4th: Giraffe Days
- Wednesday, February 5th: Ace and Hoser Blook
- Thursday, February 6th: Ageless Pages Reviews
Zohar — Man of la Book
Disclaimer: I got this book for free from TLC Book Tours.
*Amazon links point to an affiliate account
Enjoy this post? Why don't you sign up for the RSS feed