Article orignially published as Book Review: ‘The Execution of Noa P. Singleton’ by Elizabeth L. Silver on Blogcritics.org
The Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth L. Silver is a novel about our capital punishment system taking place mostly in Philadelphia. This is Ms. Silver’s, a lawyer who worked on death penalty cases, debut novel.
The publisher is giving away one copy of this book –to enter fill out the Rafflecoptter form at the end of the post.
- 320 pages
- Publisher: Crown
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 038534743X
My rating for The Execution of Noa P. Singleton – 4
The Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth L. Silver (website | Facebook | @ElizLSilver)is a thoughtful book which keeps turning itself upside down with new revelations about the protagonist, antagonist and several other characters. The book is mostly narrated by Noa but the chapters end with letters written by the victim’s mother to her deceased daughter.
The trial scenes were fascinating and the selection of the jury was hilarious. But best of all, the book made you think, not only about the nature of the death penalty but about the judicial system as well. Ms. Silver managed to write a fascinating book, told by an unreliable narrator which manages to tell a fascinating story in shades of gray. There are no good guys or bad guys in the story, everyone has their own demons within them, trying to make things right in their own head.
In each chapter the reader discovers some new revelation about Noa and her relationship to the supporting cast. The reader also discovers Noa’s state of mind while on death row, her acceptance to the situation she is in and her lifelong story which landed her behind bars.
The Execution of Noa P. Singleton is an astute story which brings up many questions about human nature and the justice system. The book’s dark tones and story will stay with the reader for a while after one turns over the last page.
Noa P. Singleton is awaiting execution for the murder of her father’s pregnant girlfriend. As the months pass and her execution date gets closer, Noa is visited by Marlene Dixon, mother of her victim.
Marlene Dixon is a powerful attorney, she promises Noa that if she’ll tell her why she killed her daughter, she will try and get the governor to commute the sentence from death to life in prison. But Noa has her own agenda, and Marlene is somehow involved.
Giveaway ends: June 26, 2013
US/Canada Shipping Addresses Only
No PO Boxes
Winners will have 24 hours to write back with their address, otherwise an alternate winner will be picked
TLC Book Tour for The Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth L. Silver:
- Monday, June 10th: A Bookish Way of Life
- Wednesday, June 12th: Jenn’s Bookshelves
- Wednesday, June 12th: No More Grumpy Bookseller
- Thursday, June 13th: BookChickDi – review
- Saturday, June 15th: BookChickDi – Weekend Cooking (excerpt)
- Monday, June 17th: Read Lately
- Wednesday, June 19th: Kritter’s Ramblings
- Wednesday, June 19th: Man of La Book
- Thursday, June 20th: Simply Stacie
- Monday, June 24th: The Best Books Ever
- Tuesday, June 25th: BookNAround
- Wednesday, June 26th: River City Reading
- Wednesday, June 26th: Mockingbird Hill Cottage
- Thursday, June 27th: Booksnob
- Monday, July 1st: The Scarlet Letter
- Tuesday, July 2nd: Musings of a Bookish Kitty
- Wednesday, July 3rd: A Bookworm’s World
- Friday, July 5th: Book Hooked Blog
- Friday, July 12th: Sweet Southern Home
Zohar — Man of la Book
Disclaimer: I got this book for free from TLC Book Tours.
*Amazon links point to an affiliate account
Enjoy this post? Why don't you sign up for the RSS feed