Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver is a fictional book taking place in Appalachia. The book is very lyrical and rich exploring the simple yet complex life of rural Tennessee.
The publisher is giving away one copy of this book -to enter fill out the Rafflecoptter form at the end of the post.
- 448 pages
- Publisher: Harper
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0062124269
My rating for Flight Behavior —3
I was excited to get Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver (website | Facebook), her books automatically go to my “to read” list. The books I read are all unique and different from one another focusing on various themes and subjects.
The writing is fantastic, however I did not feel any connection to the characters and the story is slow. The book picks up in places, just as you’re ready to put it down, but then it goes on dragging especially when it comes to the protagonist’s personal life versus her professional life. Maybe because of the characters boredom with her family life, which we are told practically from the first paragraph, the author chose to slow down the pace – for me it simply didn't work.
The theme of the book is the environment, while I appreciate themes and an author’s take on current events and their importance, I appreciate a balanced look much more than being shoved an agenda down my throat. Kingsolver’s book The Lacuna talks about Communism as one of its themes but shows both sides of the coin.
The book is still excellent from a technical standpoint, but it is slow and, I felt, could have been cut almost in half without losing much. For lovers of literary fiction this book will be an “event”, for others… not so much.
A farmer’s wife walking back from her lover’s house discovers a field full of butterflies. Not wanting her husband to know where she’s been, Dellarobia Turnbow accidentally convinces her husband and religious mother-in-law that she had a “vision”.
When a lepidopterologist comes to study the creatures, Dellarobia gets a culture shock as well as a new perspective on life.
Giveaway ends: December 19, 2012
US/Canada Shipping Addresses Only
No PO Boxes
Winners will have 24 hours to write back with their address, otherwise an alternate winner will be picked
TLC Book Tour for Flight Behaviorby Barbara Kingsolver :
- Tuesday, November 6th: A Reader of Fictions
- Wednesday, November 7th: Dolce Bellezza
- Thursday, November 8th: The Blog of Lit Wits
- Monday, November 12th: Caribousmom
- Tuesday, November 13th: Bookish Habits
- Wednesday, November 14th: 50 Books Project
- Thursday, November 15th: Unabridged Chick
- Monday, November 26th: Book Snob
- Tuesday, November 27th: What She Read … – joint review
- Wednesday, November 28th: Becca’s Byline
- Thursday, November 29th: A Patchwork of Books
- Wednesday, December 5th: No More Grumpy Bookseller
- Thursday, December 6th: The 3 R’s: Reading, ‘Riting, and Randomness
- Tuesday, December 11th:>Man of La Book
- Wednesday, December 12th: Tina’s Books Reviews
- Thursday, December 13th: Seaside Book Corner
- Monday, December 17th: 50 Books Project
- TBD: Much Madness is Divinest Sense
Disclaimer: I got this book for free from TLC Book Tours
*Amazon links point to an affiliate account