Arnold Toynbee (14 April, 1889 – 22 October, 1975) was a British historian and author. For a few decades (1918 – 1950) was considered a leading specialist on international affairs.
1) Mr. Toynbee’s was born in London.
3) While studying at the British School at Athens, Mr. Toynbee had experiences which started his interest about the decline of civilizations.
4) Jocelyn Toynbee, the author’s sister, was an art historian and archaeologist.
5) Famous economist Arnold Toynbee was a relative of the author.
8) Mr. Toynbee is best known for A Study of History, published in 12 volumes between 1934 and 1961.
9) According to Michael Lang “Toynbee was perhaps the world’s most read, translated, and discussed living scholar.”
10) In 1936, while visiting Berlin to address the Nazi Law Society, Mr. Toynbee was invited to a private interview with Hitler. Hitler expressed a desire for British understanding and cooperation at his idea of limited expansion of Greater Germany. Mr. Toynbee believed him and endorsed Hitler’s message in a confidential memorandum.
Zohar – Man of la Book
*Amazon links point to an affiliate account
Enjoy this post? Why don't you sign up for the RSS feed